Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Questionnaires: Youth Responses

As a part of my Special Study at George Fox Seminary, I desired to hear from actual high school (age 14-19) students who attend a church youth group to obtain their input on spiritual formation. Here are results from the questionnaires of these (82) teens (completed spring 2009) Although this is long...you will be blessed by reading their responses:

1. What do you value most in life? "My faith and relationships in general." "I value my support of my church, friends, my family, being healthy, and being acknowledged by my dad." "I can honestly say now, I value my family, God, and the world." "Friends, family, love, faith." "Friends." "Family and friends. I'm becoming closer to God each day but I do take my family for granted sometimes." "My dad all the way and Jesus!" "Faith! My relationship with my savior." "Friends." "Family." "Friends, family, being safe, love." "Friends, God, and life." "Faith hands down. Without my faith I would have nothing." "Family." "Friends." "My family and friends." "Family, faith, friends, love." "Friends." "Faith-God is all that is important." "My faith, friends and family." "Faith, family, friends." "Everyone!" "Friends, faith, family." "My family, friends and faith." "My faith, family, friends." "Faith, family, friends, boyfriend." "Family and faith!" "Friends, family, love, companionship, faith, hope." "My son, my friends, family, and God." "Family, faith, and God." "Friends and faith." "I think that believing in myself and having the ability to do no matter what is what I value." "Friends." "I value everything in my life because if I didn't have them, I couldn't have a life." "I value my family and friends." "What I do in church, worship, and working with middle schoolers." "God." "Friends and family." "Faith." "Family." "Friends." "Family and friends." "God." "Family, big sister, friends." "Friends and faith." "Faith, family, relationships." "Friends, family." "Family." "My faith, family, friends." "Family." "Family, friends, faith." "God and friends." "Family, faith, friends." "Family." "Friends, family, faith." "God, friends, family, sports, church, girls." "I value my family and friends most in life." "Family and faith." "Family." "Faith and friends." "Friends, family." "God and relationships with him :-)" "Friend." "My faith and everyone in my life." "Friends and family." "I guess first it would have to be my family and faith, then friends and pets." "Family." "God, friends, school." "God, family, friends." "Friends." "Family." "My friends and my family." "God, friends and school." "Older sister, friends." "Friends and family." "My family, faith, friends, people I care for, and the one I love." "Eternal joy." "My family and faith." "Jesus, good fiends, the one's who have faith in you and themselves, and music." "At this point faith, a couple weeks ago friends.

2. What brings meaning to your life? "God." "Faith, happy moments, emotions." "The Lord, and finding out new ways to get by." "Faith, joy." "Friends." "The people around me, God." "When things impact me good and bad, it changes my views." "Love, the love I get to give and receive." "Faith and people/things I love." "Happiness, joy, love." "Friends, God." "My abundant love for God." "Sports." "Everyone I'm surrounded by in my life." "My friends and family." "Learning more about the Lord." "The love I get from my family and friends."
"Believing that there is a reason for me." "A lot of things. Right now, my faith, my writing." "Support and encouragement." "Family has a huge influence and also sports I play." "Everyone and everything." "Family and friends." "Being with friends and family." "Happiness." "Friendship, happiness, love, hope, faith, trust." "My son, Owen, and God's purpose for my life." "My family." "People." "Knowing that no matter how bad I screw up I can always make it better in God's eyes." "Living for God." "I don't really think life has much meaning." "My friends and family because they are there." "I think God brings meaning to my life." "Playing bass in worship band and seeing people worship, not just singing." "Music." "Faith." "Music." "I don't have enough life experience." "God, family, friends." "God." "Leaders like Ben, friends, family who support every decision, and God being there to listen." "God, family, and Jim (pastor)." "I don't know." "My girlfriend and family." "Having a purpose and fulfilling it." "Music." "Family and friends." "Friends." "Being happy." "Faith and religion." "God's plan." "Church, sports, friends." "The chance to have a better life." "Friends and family." "To have a good life." "Seeing those around me happy." "Watching God's work and love take place before my eyes." "Mom and dad." "Other people." "Being important to others." "Having a good time." "Don't get what this means." "Sports." "Teaching the kindergarten class and being part of design team." "I don't know anymore." "Friends and family." "My friends and family." "Girlfriend and school." "People." "Happiness and friends." "When people truly care about other people's feelings." "Several things, seeing new Christians smiling faces, knowing how big God's plan is for me." "Being around the people I love and doing things that please God and others." "Without friends and family I would be me today. Jesus Christ is on reason that makes me stride to do better." "Knowing that if I live a godly servant life I have a place to look forward to...heaven!"

3. Who influences your decisions? "My future, and I try to let God influence my, but that doesn't always happen." "Myself, my dad." "My faith and family definitely." "Family, friends." "Especially friends." "My friends and myself." "Faith, mentors, family, dreams." "My future and faith to trust my decisions." "Friends, family, God." "Myself and friends." "Friends." "Family and future. But overall faith." "Friends, family." "My best friends and my sister." "My friends and family." "Friends." "People I love." "Future." "Myself and sometimes my family and friends." "Friends-not aways in good ways though." "My mom, my faith." "Family." "Future, family, and my friends." "Myself and family." "Everyone." "Family." "Everyone." "No one-I influence myself, no one has any influence over my life or decisions." "God, my son, sometimes family and friends." "God and myself." "My dad is a big part of everything and my grandma. People close to me." "God." "I'm influenced equally by friends, family, and faith, depending on the circumstances. My morals guide me the most." "My youth group leader, and my deceased grandpa." "Family and friends." "Youth leaders." "My mom." "Leaders and faith." "Friends." "My best friend and my grandma." "God, family, responsibilities, friends, and faith." "Family, friends, church." "Friends." "God, family, and Jim (pastor)." "Me." "My mom and my girlfriend." "Me mostly, but I try to let God show me what to do." "Family and God." "Parents and friends." "My father and close friends." "Myself." "My father." "Bible." "Friends, family, teammates, church." "Mostly myself and my faith." "Friends." "Faith." "Future, friends." "God, family, friends, co-workers." "My family usually influences my decisions, and what I want to do in the future." "Family and friends." "Friends, my faith, and me." "I guess my friends because I just go along with what they do sometimes." "Me." "Friends, and Kathy (youth leader)." "Family and faith." "Future, I suppose." "Faith." "My sister who is dead." "No one usually." "Friends mostly, and myself." "Me." "My family." "God, family, friends." "Friends and faith." "My family and definitely my friends when it comes to school. My future is what influences my decision. I would like to think I, myself, influences my decisions." "Friends, family, faith."

4. What is your greatest fear in life? "To lose another family member or become an addict or cut again." "Needles, doctors." "Growing up, moving on, and losing people." "God, and big, mean, vicious dogs." "Failure, growing old and alone." "Being alone or spiders!" "Not being good enough." "Failure." "Not being accepted by God." "Being alone." "Disappointing my mom." "Losing people." "The greatest fear in my life is not being good enough." "Planes, spiders and being sent to hell." "Being forgotten, losing friends." "Live a life full of Jesus." "Failure." "Losing everyone close to me." "Storms, thunder." "Not finding a life companion." "That my life will be meaningless." "God!!" "Try not to get hurt." "Failing at major things in life such as school." "Rejection." "Being alone all my life." "Being alone." "Snakes." "Life itself because you never know what's going to happen next." "Losing everything (not materialistic)." "Losing anyone in my life right now." "Becoming an old, lonely, cat-lady." "Not overcoming my greatest fears." "Letting God down." "Torture, pain." "My greatest fear is death but death is just another path we must take." "My fear is failure." "Not succeeding in worship." "My guitar breaking." "Being buried alive." "Being alone and death." "Missing something." "Losing God." "Well, the end when God comes back." "Losing the love of my life." "Failure." "Things won't change." "Dying because where I stand right now I'm going to hell." "Not living right in God's eyes and going to hell." "That people would know they truth about me." "Letting my brother down." "Not being accepted." "Not being happy." "Big spiders." "Losing faith." "Having unsaved friends dying." "Not doing what I'm meant to do and to die and no one cares." "I don't know." "Not knowing what is to come." "Spiders." "Drowning." "Being alone." "Not being accepted." "Losing a loved one." "Saying goodbye." "Being alone." "Losing people I have." "Being alone." "Losing the ones I love." "To die unhappy." "Unknown at this time." "Silence." "Growing up." "Not being able to see my future." "Not fulfilling God's purpose for my life." "Being alone and disappointing others." "Failure and also disappointment." "Letting others including God down (disappointment), not living up to my potential."

5. What is your greatest hope in life? "My greatest hope is to be able to be myself." ":-(" "Hope to move people in the right direction." "To go to heaven, and college." "Going to college, getting a degree, have a happy family." "To feel complete." "Becoming the women of God I was created to be and fulfill the purpose I was created for." "To be able to help people and do something I enjoy in life." "To be successful in life." "Getting out of Oregon." "That I will do God's will." "I really want to have kids." "My greatest hope is that my brothers succeeds." "That I go to heaven and me being able to be happy." "That I have a long and happy life." "To be with Jesus." "To succeed." "To live a life my own way." "I will survive." "To spread the Word of God through missionaries." "That I become a published author." "To get to heaven." "To be successful in life." "Happiness." "Have someone love me for who I am." "To be happy." "To finally be happy." "Happiness! I want to be happy!" "To be a successful, role model, of God and witness to others. Give my kids a great Christian home, and marry an amazing Christian guy." "Having a great future." "I'll get into heaven." "To do what God wants me to do at my best." "Living a life of God, marriage and kids." "To have a relaxing normal life and study how the brain works." "To be able to be a good father and husband." "My greatest hope is successfulness." "To lead a worship group up and down the west coast, then become a youth or worship pastor." "To be successful." "Doing God's will for my life." "To be a theater major." "That I live life to the fullest." "To do what God wants me to." "That I go to heaven, that I don't regret anything I do." "Being able to stay together with the one I love. To learn more about God and stay faithful through the hard times." "Heaven, successful life, awesome wife." "Things will change for the better." "To become the person people will miss when I am gone." "To be the man God made me to be." "Jesus, Christianity." "To make people happy." "To be successful as my father in work and faith." "To be happy and be able to make someone else happy." "To have a child." "To go to heaven." "Finding my ministries, help many nonbelievers." "Everything." "To live long." "To have a long life." "That the ones around me are always happy." "That my whole family gives their lives to Christ." "To make it to heaven." "To find someone who makes me happy." "To get a good job and get married." "To live a good life." "Becoming an astronaut." "Be my best." "As of now I look forward to being a mom." "I don't know." "Pass school." "To see my sister." "Unknown." "To fall in love and be happy." "Being able to live longer than 150." "To influence others in a positive way towards God during my time on earth." "To be a mom, wife, and a positive godly role model." "To achieve my goals I have set for the future. To live the life God planned for me." "To make a difference in the lives of children. They are my passion. I want to protect them and their rights."

6. What is your view of God? "He's amazing and has helped me through a lot." "The most uplifting person." "Love, faith, and hope...the change, amazement." "Wonderful :-)" "He is amazing, He makes everything possible." "He is not even a view, He is more than anything I could ever imagine." "Savior, Redeemer, Father." "He is awesome and almighty!" "He is amazing, and makes me feel safe!" "Chill guy who is my friend." "That He is the way, the truth, and the light." "He is my everything." "Fantastic, wonderful, powerful." "He is awesome and can help you through everything." "He rocks! He is someone I can trust." "He is real." "He's just there." "I don't know." "He has helped me so much since I joined the church. I have fully given my life to him and there has never been a better feeling in the whole world." "That He is amazing and rocks my world." "He is the most amazing thing in life. He is the one person that will never lie to you." "He is there but I do not think of him nearly as much as I should." "He is great." "I believe He is always there." "My only one who can save me." "He is almighty." "I can't word my views for this question." "Our Father, Savior, Forgiver, Caregiver." "He's my whole world." "God is everything to me." "He will always be my biggest fan!" "Creator of earth and people. He is huge." "A perfect being." "A faithful person." "I can have faith in him." "He is THE MAN." "Trustworthy." "He rocks." "I'm not really sure." "I don't know." "I do my best to keep my God the God that is in the Bible." "Beastly." "He is always there for me when I need him the most. He made me with a purpose." "All powerful, savior, protector, forgiving." "I don't know." "Amazing and wonderful." "He is my creator, my father." "Someone who cares about me, more than me." "He is the almighty." "Graceful." "God." "The creator." "Great." "All powerful, all knowing, all loving." "He is the Almighty, the maker of the heavens and the earth." "He is a friend." "That He has control over everything." "He is my Lord." "He is cool." "I view God as love in essence." "Love." "God sent his son, Jesus, to die on the cross for my sins." "He loves you no matter what, and it doesn't matter what you've done or look like." "Powerful and holy." "That we are nothing without him." "He is awesome! He is always faithful, thank goodness!" "He is the omnipotent, almighty One." "A sign of hope." "The Father of all of us." "He is there but I haven't seen a blessing in five plus years." "God is the creator of us and nothing happens without him." "Saving lives." "He is my father, the holy one, my creator, my salvation, my love." "He is my father, the one I can always turn to. He will love me forever." "The King above all kings, the creator of life, the one who I look to for answers to life." "He is my real father. I can talk to him about anything. I could go on forever...He is protector, friend, etc."

7. What role does technology play in your life? "It's a really key thing. I use it all the time." "I don't have a cell phone anymore, computer definitely." "It plays too much of a role, I should slow down on texting." "The t.v. and my mom's cell phone." "A lot...if I don't watch t.v., I'm listening to music, and I always have my phone." "It helps a lot, with everything in life!" "So much. I use them for ministry and other life things." "It helps me a lot with communication, school, etc." "I use it a lot." "Cell phone mainly." "It's a source of communication." "Cell phone is my life line." "My phone is my way of communicating." "Cell phone, computer, t.v., ipod." "My ipod is awesome and been through a lot with me." "Computer, cell phone, t.v." "Communication with friends and family." "I love them." "I go to a tech based school so I use it every day for homework." "My cell is my lifeline to friends, mom. My Zune helps me cope with boredom/stupid people. Mostly I go to books." "It does help in a way." "Without technology in my life it would make things difficult." "Big!" "Not much except cell phone!" "A big part of my life." "Cell phone." "Can't live without my cell phone." "Not a big role but it plays a big enough role to talk to and keep in touch with people." "Cell phone-always on it!" "My cell phone never leaves my side." "It makes life easier." "I hardly ever use the computer or t.v. because I am always so busy and I have no cell service at my casa." "Email and cell phone." "I use tech all the time, but as far as faith it holds me back, and in general makes us all lazy." "Not a lot for instruments." "Entertainment." "Keeps me connected with my friends because none go to my school." "A large role." "Communication." "A big one because I love music." "My school is based off technology." "It lets me get in touch easier, and I get to listen to my Christian music." "Cell phone-I talk to friends, but not much t.v." "It impacts my life majority." "A lot. Communication/entertainment." "I don't know." "My cell phone is what keeps me in-line." "Takes up too much of it." "I'm pretty close with technology." "A big part in my life." "Not much, cell phone is about all I use." "Communication." "Cell phone is my life-line." "It plays a gigantic role in my life. I don't leave my house without my phone." "It helps and hinders." "A small one." "So I can talk to my girlfriend." "Not a big role." "A big part, daily involved." "I look to cell as my friend." "I never go anywhere without my cell phone." "Probably too big of a role. I rely on it to talk to my friends." "Communication." "It plays a pretty big part because we don't have a home phone so I use a cell phone." "Everything is on demand." "Huge!" "I use my phone a lot! Computer and t.v. when I have time." "A lot." "A lot, without tech life could be boring." "I am a computer freak." "Video games/cell phone play very minor rolls." "Help!" "I use technology for communication (computer) and I watch some t.v./movies." "I am on the computer a lot. It is a distraction to me and my faith." "Unfortunately it plays a huge part in my daily routine." "I check email/facebook, watch t.v. on weekends sometimes. I don't have a cell at the moment. Not too badly but I'm too busy to focus on it!"

8. Do you find technology helpful or a distraction? "Both." "It's a helpful distraction." "Both helpful because you can call people, ask for rides to church, etc., and not because it causes drama." "Both." "Distraction." "Both, it's keeping kids from getting close to their family and they are always playing video games." "Helpful and distracting." "Both!" "I don't like t.v. but technology is helpful mostly." "Both." "Distraction at times." "Both." "Helpful." "Both, sometimes I have to call someone, and the computer distracts me from family time." "Both." "I find it both...it helps with research but distracts from everyday life." "Cell phone helpful, others not really." "Both." "Music helps me concentrate but phone/texting is distracting." "Distraction." "A bit of both." "Helpful." "Both." "I think it has become a distraction for people." "Both." "Distraction-always has been because I have bad grades." "Helpful." "Both because people are helped out by cell phones, computers, etc." "Distraction." "Huge distraction." "Helpful." "Well, I don't want to say it but it can be a big distraction." "Helpful and distracting sometimes." "Both." "I enjoy technology products, but find it very annoying to deal with the technical difficulties." "Helpful...it helps concentration." "Usually it's a distraction." Both at times." "Both." "Helpful." "Both." "Helpful." "It can be a bit of both." "Both." "It can be helpful at times." "Both-I don't know how it would be without it." "Both." "Depends." "Mostly a distraction." "Helpful." "It can be helpful but can also be a big distraction." "Helpful." "Depends on the situation." "Both." "Helpful." "Helps me communicate and learn." "Both." "Some of both." "Both." "Helpful and a distraction, but mostly helpful." "Both." "It depends on what you use if for." "Both." "Both at times." "Both." "I think of it as both because I use it to talk but texting can get pretty addicting." "Both." "Helpful." "Both." "Both, small quantity." "Both." "Distraction and helpful." "Both." "Somewhat helpful, sometimes a distraction." "Both." "It is a distraction to my faith." "Both." "Both, doesn't matter just for entertainment but also is a faster way to research stuff." "Both."

9. What was the last video you downloaded to your computer? Multiple teens said "None" or "I don't know." "IDEK-Valentine's Love." "California-Spring Break (funny stuff)." "One of me singing at a competition." "Nothing." "One of me and Bri being stupid...that's all." "Susan Boyle." "Step Up 2." "Me and my friends." "Guitar cover." "If the world was a golf ball video." "Hume Lake promo video." "Never done one." "Jackass." "Hawk Nelson - Bring em out." "Country music." "My dance video." "House Bunny-didn't like it. :(" "A worship video by Hillsong." "None." "Video of me jumping my quad." "I don't upload videos." "A dog walking on hind legs." "High School Musical 3." "Mindless Self Indulgence." "Never done this." "You Can Get it All by Bow Wow." "Death Race." "Chainsaw Alarm Clock." ""No P.C.-too poor." "U-tube." "I-Robot." "Never have time-honestly." "Never." "Too long ago to remember." "I don't download videos." "Snowboarding trip." "Party Guys." "On a Boat-music video." "Trunk-monkey commercials." "A music video." "2D video midgets." "SNL skit." "2D video midgets." "Me and my friend wrestling." "My baby sister." "Crossler football game." "Jesus Retreat." "U-tube." "Video I made to "Boom, Boom, Boom." "My photo slideshow in computer tech class." "Fast and the Furious." "Some sort of music video." "Hume Lake-Bringing Modesty Back and Ben and Kass' engagement."

10. What was the last music you downloaded to your computer/phone/device? Multiple teens said "I don't know, never, or I don't remember." "All Time Low." "Some love song." "Mighty to Save, Sugar." "Brad Paisley." "T-Pain." "The Adele CD." "I'm not allowed to, so last thing I listened to was the Maine." "Stand By You." "Eighteen Days-Saving Abel" "Country music." "Country and rock music." ""The Spill Camas." "Black Eyed Peas." "Mostly country." "Luke Bryan C.D." "Taylor Swift." "Sublime, Beyonce." "I killed the prom queen!" "Natalie Grant, Newsboys, Lacre, Colbie Colliat, Natasha Bendingfield." "Please Don't Leave Me by Pink." "I don't put music on my phone becuase it's complicated." "Savage. Swing." "Everything by Michael Buble." "Some rock songs probably." "Nickelback." "New York Voices." "Kelly Clarkson's new c.d." "Country." "I am on a boat." "Hip-hop." "Meet in the Middle by Diamond Rio." "The Storm by Lifehouse." "Demon Hunter, Flyleaf, Thousand Foot Krutch, Skillet." "I think it was Underneath." "Linkin Park." "Robotic Zombies from Outer Space." "You are Everything by IDK." "Nickelback." "GNK/Ozzy." "Jeremy Camp, Third Day." "Nickelback." "Ooh-ahh by the Grits." "Rock." "Storm by Lifehouse." "A mix." "Storm by Lifehouse." "Sweep Me Away-After You." "Slipknot." "The Decemberists." "Techno." "Killswitch Engage." "Country." "Tyrone Wells."

11. Where do you get your support? "God, and basically my closest friends." "Youth group." "Friends, sometimes family, church family, and Dana, my small group leader." "A really good friend, family, God, and Dana." "Not sure." "Being here it feels like I will never be judged and I am always smiling here." "Dana, my friends, my family, the church." "Family and best friend." "Youth group, friends, family." "Youth group sisters." "My Bible, my mommy, my family." "Friends." "Family, friends, church." "My ex-boyfriend, he is my best friend ever!" "Just from friends." "People's kind words." "Family and friends." "My best friend." "Friends." "From the people in church and youth leaders." "My mom, my best friend." "Family and friends." "Family." "Friends and family." "Parents." "Friends." "My mom-she is always there." "Friends, family-kinda." "Friends." "My two best guy friends, and my many close girl friends." "My best friend." "From close loved ones and God through prayer." "God, friends, family." "My mentor." "Very little from friends and family." "Family, friends, youth group." "Family, friends." "Youth group workers, friends." "Mom." "Friends." "Church family." "Friends/family." "Family, friends, God, prayer." "Family, friends." "The girl I want to spend the rest of my life with and very close friends." "Family, friends." "My girlfriend and mom." "Family, friends, and most importantly, the Scripture." "Family, grandparents, God." "Mostly from my best friends." "Family and friends." "Family and church." "Home." "Friends, family, church." "Friends and family." "Friends." "People." "Church, family, men's small group." "My family." "Family, friends." "Girlfriend, family, friends." "Mom and dad." "Mom." "Best friends." "My family and friends." "My mom." "Family." "Friends, church, family." "Sisters." "Parents and girlfriend." "Friends, some family." "My older cousin." "From God, close friends, my mom." "My family." "My friends, church family." "My friends and family." "Family, friends, teachers, some peers, youth staff, colleges." "Friends and family."

12. Where do you feel a sense of belonging? "I don't know. I have been changed a lot this year, so I don't know where I stand." "Right here in this room." "At church, at Afterlife." "Church, home." "Church, school, cheerleading." "This church!" "Church." "Here!" "Youth group and with friends." "My church! My middle school small group and my family." "With my best friends only." "When I am with all my friends." "Youth group." "Julie's house." "I don't know." "With the people I love and the people who love me." "I don't know." "I haven't found one yet." "With friends and at church." "School and home." "On the baseball field." "At home with family." "No where." "Home-I feel safe there!" "In my room alone, and with certain people." "Anywhere as long as I feel as though I am with friends." "With my son, my guy, and by girl best friends." "Whenever I am with my friends." "When I'm with my friends." "In my sports, family, friends." "Right where I am." "At school." "Youth group, gaming groups, online." "Marines and home." "Home." "Here." "Youth group, workers, friends." "Worship team." "In choir and my musical rehearsals." "Church!" "Everywhere!" "Church, home, friends." "Home, church." "My group of friends and youth group." "Home." "Friends and family." "With my girlfriend and her family." "Basketball court, youth group, church." "At church that I know practically everyone." "at my youth group and with my closest friends." "With friends and family." "When I gow up and find myself." "Where I am needed." "Church." "Church, sports, friends." "Everywhere." "With friends." "I don't know." "Church, friends, family." "With friends, and with God." "With friends and family." "Still looking for that...." "Where my friends are." "With my friends and family." "With family." "With friends and family." "Friends." "Youth group, amongst friends." "Church." "Part school, part grandparents." "When I'm by myself." "In the company of my close Christian friends." "Here and at home." "At my church, with my family." "On the cheerleading squad and with my family." "Here at church and when around kids or when serving." "Church, around horses."

No comments:

Post a Comment